Thursday, March 5, 2020

Transformation Birthday Card

Today I have a pop-out gatefold birthday card for our niece featuring the Transformation set by The Ton.

I knew that I wanted to make a gatefold card to highlight the butterfly's transformation from striped to floral wings with the left side gate initially under the left wing.  The addition  of the pop-out component was inspired by a card I saw on Pinterest by Sam of Mixed Up Craft.  Her card video is shown here.

The base of the card is 11" x 5.5"  scored at 2.75" and 8.25".  The base was flipped over and scored at 5" and 6" for the pop-out.  The card fits in a 5.75" square envelope.

For the gatefold flaps,  two pieces of black card stock were cut 2.5" x 5.25".  Two pieces of patterned paper were cut and 2.25" x 5". 
 
The strip of black card stock on the front of the pop-out is .75" x 5.25". 

I used just black card stock on the back of the card (not shown),  two pieces cut 2" x 5.25" and one for the pop-out, cut .75" x 5.25".  I wanted to keep the inside of the card clean looking, so I wrote a message to our niece vertically on the solid black pop-out piece on the back of the card.

An 11" x 1.25" wide belly band was made out of black card stock.  The ends of the belly band were attached to a die cut flower so there would be extra wrap around length allowing for the thickness of the card.

The messages on the inside of the card were typed on my computer and mounted on black card stock with a 1/8" boarder.

The butterfly and flowers were stamped with black ink and colored with Copic markers.  The birthstone for March is aquamarine, so I used similar colors.

Mounting the butterfly on the pop-out was a bit tricky.  I wanted to be able to tuck the left gatefold under the left wing so I had to attach the butterfly with adhesive on just half of the thin thorax and abdomen portion and a bit of the flower portion.  I used foam tape to pop the butterfly up a bit so the flap had more room to tuck under the left wing and added glue to both sides of the adhesive foam tape to secure it more tightly.   Next time I make a similar card, I'll adjust the measurements just a tiny bit so there's more room to tuck the left wing under the left gatefold.  It's a bit too tight and difficult to open without getting mini indentation marks on the edge of the card stock from resting up against the foam tape under the floating butterfly.  

I hope my instructions have been helpful.  Please let me know if you give a card like this a try, and  share your lessons learned with me.

I think the Transformation butterfly is perfect for this type of card.  I really enjoyed making it for our beautiful niece.  Happy Birthday, Amy, may your 40's transform and bloom in to wonderful surprises!  




 Supplies:
The Ton Transformation stamps and dies
MFT  Black Licorice card stock
Recollections Black & White Spots paper
Neenah Classic Crest Solar White 80lb card stock
Memento Tuxedo Black ink
Copic markers:  BG10, BG11, BG23, C1, C3, C5
Prismacolor pencil PC905
Uniball 1.0mm silver gel pen
 Paper Souce 5.75" square envelope lined with the black and white patterned paper




2 comments: